Creative Drawing Ideas & Prompts for Kids

Creative Drawing Ideas and Prompts for Kids

As one way to encourage creative drawing and the continued use of our chalkboard, I occasionaly add a drawing prompt and wait for the kids to find it. (And by kids, I mean Maia and possibly any friend she has over. Daphne is yet oblivious to such suggestion.)

It almost always results in a thoughtful and unique drawing that veers from the usual drawings that I see them make.

The drawing prompts idea is something I've borrowed from Susan Striker's Anti-Coloring Book series —I had one as a child! —and now the many doodle books out there. (By the way, you can find several printable pages from the Anti-Coloring Books as well as examples of what children have drawn on her website.)

Creative Drawing Ideas and Prompts for Kids

What I do is begin a simple drawing on the chalkboard, and add an invitation —in this case, the question, "What is inside this house?" And then I go about my day.

Before too long, Maia notices the drawing prompt and (usually) begins to complete the drawing and answer the question or prompt in her own way. I LOVE seeing how this unfolds and love seeing the results!

Creative Drawing Ideas and Prompts for Kids

For example, Maia has drawn lots of houses, but always the exterior. With this prompt about the interior, she and Marlise drew and talked, drew and talked, until they had a house filled with furniture, people, and stories. (Working nearby and listening to their imaginations run wild as they talk and play is one of my favorite things to do.)

Would she have drawn the interior without my chalkboard prompt?

Maybe. Eventually.

But having the prompt definitely got her thinking and drawing in a new-to-her way. It helped her to expand out of her self-defined drawing habits and ideas and to try something different.

Besides these drawing prompts, there are lots of other ways to encourage creative drawing and thinking. Here are some ideas that we use:

More Creative Drawing Ideas & Prompts for Kids

Do you have any other drawing prompts to add to the list? Please share in the comments!

Have you tried any of these with your kids? If so, did you notice a difference in how and what they drew? Did you feel it took them outside of their usual repertoire and helped them to think and draw more creatively?

Comments

I love this idea – we have a chalkboard in our upstairs hallway that is underused… adding a drawing prompt to it would grab the kids’ attention.

2. rachel says

i love this jean! thank you so much. i love hearing all your thoughts about this.
    we just bought some chalkboard paint so i think we’re finally ready to dive in!

3. Alex says

Not sure if this was on another post but my daughter’s 1st representative drawing was mostly filling in faces…I’d draw a person in fancy dress with a giant blank head on the easel, often a character from a story we’d read, and she’d fill it in when I wasn’t looking. :)

4. molly says

I love leaving little creative surprises around the house for kids like this! We have a chalkboard similar to yours, and lately I’ve been doing pre-writing activities with my old one, like drawing pictures and putting little letter blanks for her to fill in the word. I really like the house idea, and I’ve done the empty picture frames before with your inspiration. Thanks for the continued GREAT ideas!

5. katie says

at parties my mom would give each person a piece of paper. wed have X number of minutes to draw a head with a neck. the paper was then folded down just so the neck was visible. the paper was passed and youd draw a portion of the body, again leaving just the waist visible. fold paper down. pass… and so on… once the feet were drawn, papers were unfolded and silly “people” drawings were revealed.

6. Dena says

Another great idea………I think I will start with some mazes for Naomi. Thanks!!

7. [email protected] says

Love these ideas, Jean! I had anti-coloring books as a kid, too! Have you seen Taro Gomi’s book, “Scribbles”?

Ours goes through phases of being underused as well (and phases of being used all.the.time). You’re right — a prompt like this helps it get used again.

We used to play that drawing game a lot when I was a kid, too! Especially every time we got together with extended family — my grandma, great aunt, and uncle were all artists.

I follow your blog and love seeing all your amazing art ideas. I just want to say, you are so cool! I love this prompt and can imagine any kid wanting to fill in the inside of that house.