How to Make Insta Snow :: Indoor Fun for Kids

Making Fake Snow :: Indoor Fun for Kids

My kids love snow. I imagine yours do, too.

They love to stomp around in it, squish it, play in it, sled through it. They love to make snow angels, snow men, and snow balls. They love that the world is transformed into a sparkling white, fluffy wonderland.

We had an early snowfall this year, before Halloween, but none of it stuck. So no snow days for the kids yet.

Making Fake Snow

This post contains affiliate links.However, this weekend I decided to try out a little something that I had bought from Discount School Supply a while back out of curiousity.

Insta-Snow!

It’s also available on Amazon, including as a big bag of the stuff.

And I’ve seen it in our local toy stores…

Making Fake Snow

It’s a fake snow product created by Steve Spangler Science.

Here’s how to make Insta Snow ::

Mix the granules with water and as they absorb it, they turn into a fluffy, snow-like substance.

Making Fake Snow

It also helps if you do the Snow Dance. Just sayin’.

Making Fake Snow

When I got the Insta-Snow out, I thought it might hold my daughters’ attention for maybe 10 minutes. That they would think it cool and interesting, but then would move on.

Instead, they both played together happily for hours with and in the snow. I kid you not.

Making Fake Snow

They scooped it and squished it. Built mountains. Buried animals.

Making Fake Snow

They made it snow.

Making Fake Snow

Mostly, though, they played with their little animal figurines in the snow, creating scenario after scenario, story line after story line.

I took a few pictures, then got smart and used the time to work on a mama project.

Making Fake Snow

The little Insta-Snow powder canister costs $10.99 and makes a LOT of snow. Maia and Daphne loved the process of adding the water and watching the snow magically appear, plus they wanted more and more snow, so we ended up using over a third of the canister this time.

It was so worth it.

And the snow lasts for a long time, apparently, so that it can be played with again and again. Or used in a winter tabletop tableau or something. The instructions even say that once it dries out, you can reconstitute it by adding water all over again.

JeansPhotos_11-12_0781

I used the large plastic¬†finger paint tray¬†to hold our fake snow but you could also use a large baking tray or a plastic storage bin. I also placed a big towel underneath, thinking there would be some wetness. There wasn’t any, though, so the towel was unnecessary.

(This stuff is NOT for eating, btw, so if you have a little one who still puts everything in his mouth, I’d keep this away from them.)

I’ve heard of people bringing a big tray of real snow inside to play with and drive toy cars through and such. But if you live in a warm climate or just don’t have snow yet or want some play snow that won’t quickly melt and turn to slush then I’d definitely recommend getting yourself some fake snow.

As parents, we need as many indoor entertainment tricks up our sleeve as we can get during the cold months. (& if you have some great ones, please share! I’m making myself a cheat sheet of ideas…)

Update :: here it is!

89 Indoor Activities to Keep Your Kids From Bouncing Off the Walls This Winter

Comments

1. katie says

We gave out teeny test tubes of this for a summer party favor one yar. I think we got them on clearance at hallmark years ago but i have since seen it at five below. It comes in a small test tube so it wont make as much but we put it in chineze take out plastic containers and its enough for my two girls to get an experience. You can add food coloring too and km pretty sure there are instructions for freezing it ( maybe google search. Pretty sure.steve spangler had it on his site?)

2. Ann says

We’ve had this before, it really is a lot of fun. I would LOVE it if you shared your cheatsheet of inside play ideas. We had our first big snow this last weekend and my kids are fighting like crazy today; they’re not used to being stuck inside and I’m nervous about a long winter!

Yeah, well that cheat sheet hasn’t quite happened yet… I know I want and need a cheat sheet and I plan to make one. I’ll share it when I have one, though, Ann!! In the meantime, there’s this list I made last winter: http://www.artfulparent.com/2011/12/simon-says-drawing-plus-12-activities-to-keep-the-kids-busy-over-the-holidays.html
    Plus, there’s always hallway hopscotch: http://www.artfulparent.com/2009/07/hallway-hopscotch-and-a-new-dress-for-maia.html
    And games, books, art, pretend play, blocks, play store, cooking, science experiments, puzzles, etc. But you know that.

4. hrm says

This looks so fun, especially for those of us who live in Southern California. I just be this on my girls’ holiday wish list. Thanks!

5. Carly says

This post made me laugh. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We had our first snowfall of the season this weekend and got 30 centimetres (1 foot) of snow. We’ve been doing a lot of shovelling and have built a big hill in our front yard for toboganning. (The hill is probably 4 feet tall right now.) That said, I still think the kids would get a kick out of snow INSIDE!

Awesome! I LOVE Daphne’s dances, she and I would get along really well I think! We will have to try this, I can see my kids playing with their “guys” for hours as well.

I used some of this stuff for my daughters snow themed party
    as people who live where it never snows my kids loved it. and I have a daughter obsessed with snow {wonder if she realized how cold it is will she still love it}
    I think I still have a little left. I may have to use it as you’ve done and we can have some christmas theme fun (weird sidenote of having summer at christmas – movies and cards and packaging etc make you want snow!)

8. katie says

doing outdoor activities you normally wouldnt let them do inside…bubbles!!! we made hopscotch with long roll of easel paper.
    make forts/tents.
    make your own face paint.
    kids put on a skit
    taste test ingredients. chart favs & least favs
    play in the bath. bubbles, shave cream, kitchen utensils.
    shadow puppets

Must find some of this. I’ve got some rather Canada-sick littles about the place who can’t get their minds around Scotland’s rainy winters. This might be a perfect magic trick. For all of us…

I just found some of this same, um, substance at the dollar store, $1 for a can of “decorative snow.” It makes about half of what I see in your pictures–but still a good price! I’m going to stock up for summertime, we have enough real snow outside right now.

11. sheryl says

we are doing a Christmas Presentation at our church with the children. Would love to have snow “falling” in the sanctuary. HOwever, concerned that it would be messy to clean up and people may not like it falling on them. Any coments? Thanks!m