Spin art is a fun and easy action art activity for kids. Using paint and a salad spinner, the process is mesmerizing, and each painting is unique! Update by our Associate Editor, Andrea Martelle
Updated April 2022
Have you tried spin art with a salad spinner? So easy and so fun!
You need a salad spinner, paper cut to fit, (or paper plates or even coffee filters), and paint. And depending on how your salad spinner works, maybe a little muscle!
It was so fun to try out this classic Artful Parent action art activity! It’ll definitely be one we try again and again.
Spin Painting with a Salad Spinner
- Tempera paint (we used these neon colors)
- thick paper
- paper plates or coffee filters (optional)
- salad spinner (we used this very inexpensive one from IKEA)
- Set up materials
If you need to, cut your paper so that it fits inside the salad spinner. And this project can get a little messy, so you might want to cover your workspace.
- Add paint
Once your paper is inside the salad spinner, use a spoon or paintbrush to scoop a few different paint colors onto it.
Or you can squeeze your paint from the bottle directly onto the paper.
- Place lid on and spin
Put the lid on the salad spinner and begin to spin!
- Remove the lid
The anticipation is so great each time you spin! What will the design look like??
The more paint you add, the more the colors spread and mix!
Each spin painting is beautiful and unique!
Continue to repeat this process and try various color combinations for different results.
What to do with all your lovely spin paintings? Make a mobile! Or create a mini gallery wall with them like we did!
And don’t worry about your salad spinner. If you don’t have one dedicated to spin art, you can easily wash the tempera paint off!
People Also Ask:
- What is needed for spin art? All you need for spin art is paint (we used neon tempera), thick paper or paper plates, and a salad spinner!
- What type of paint do you use for spin art? You can use most kinds of paint: tempera, acrylic, BioColors or activity paint.
More Action Art Ideas for Kids
- Spin Painting with Kids Two Fun Ways (a comparison between a spin painting machine and a salad spinner)
- Painting with Wheels: Easy Action Art Activity for Kids
- Action Art for Kids: Try Painting with a Drill & Brush!
- Splat Painting: Easy and Fun Action Art for Children
- Splatter Painting with Kids
Pin It for Later