Creating Art: A Child’s Work

PaintedCanvas_Pic23

I was asked to contribute an article to the winter issue of Rhythm of the Home, a quarterly online magazine specializing in natural living, handmade, and seasonal celebration. I wrote about the process of creating and included instructions for a modern, kid-painted canvas using tape resist (great for gifts or for the wall!). Here's the link:

Creating Art: A Child's Work

I had a lot of fun writing my piece and hope you enjoy it!

Comments

Good stuff! I always feel a bit disappointed seeing 30 near-identical art/craft outcomes hanging on a nursery wall. Giving children space (and encouragement) to explore and create their own individual work is so much more satisfying for teachers and pupils. And I agree – you can still do this with materials that are pre-selected.

Yes, I had trouble with the link as well. Nice piece, Jean. I will forward it along to my students. It is nice validation and reinforcement of the experiences and values I am trying to promote in my classes.

What a fantastic project! And I have a few blank canvases lying around already. This will make the perfect activity for big sis while baby bro is napping tomorrow morning!

Great article, Jean. Thank you for singing the praises of the process vs. the product and then sharing such a beautiful example.

Great activities! Always encourage kids to find their ways. And enjoy doing, not result.
    I’ll have to post examples on how I do it, cause people tend to take my drawings as a freebie replacement for some maze, connect and color-ins. While my 4y daughter already designs her own.
    She’s actually moved from solving a given paper towards creating such. That is quite the trick, but it happens seeing my example and realized can do
    [For example she made a hand drawn puzzle as those on site directly rearranged and I shall show how. That is way more rewarding than putting a puzz together]

6. [email protected] says

I teach kindergarten in public school and we don’t have art or music due to budget cuts. I try to incorporate art during free choice center time and give the kids a varitey of materials to explore with. The “crafty” type art we do as extensions of lessons are more for fine motor practice and following directions. Those are the projects that always look similar and are teacher directed. It is very important to have a balance if possible.

Jean, we used this project for Hanukkah gifts for my husband and they turned out beautifully. It was also interesting to see how my kids approached it in such different ways. I spent time one-on-one with Noah and then with Camille. It turned into a wonderful afternoon for all of us and we now have some stunning new pieces of art on the wall by our entry. Thank you again for the continued inspiration. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

8. amy says

I just did this project with my 3 year old and I am in love with the paintings. Thank you so much for the inspiration, I love to look at them every day.