Glue batik curtains for the studio

GlueBatik08

Our studio remodel is just about finished (yay!), and the latest addition is this set of glue batik curtains. I think they add a lot to the space — color, character, art! We're all thrilled with how they turned out. I initially wanted to buy canvas roller shades that we could decorate with glue batik, but couldn't find any in our price range that fit these windows. So instead I sewed some simple shades out of white canvas. Don't look too closely; they're not perfect.

GlueBatikCurtains03

The curtains were very much a joint project between Maia and me (with a few touches added by Daphne). We both did the glue design using Elmer's blue gel glue and then painted them together with watered-down acrylic paints.

Note: I've posted about glue batik before here and here. I found the idea on That Artist Woman and used her tutorial.

GlueBatikCurtains06

We spread the curtains out on our splat mat before painting because the acrylic paint tends to soak through the fabric.

GlueBatikCurtains10

Here Daphne's adding some paint to a curtain (before painting her feet and hands). After the paint dried I put the curtains in a tub of hot water then scrubbed off the softened glue with a brush, leaving white lines and designs in the paint where the glue was.

GlueBatik09

The curtains are hung with simple tension rods. So easy!

GlueBatik20

These curtains are not as ideal as roller shades since they can't just roll up out of the way. For now I'm pinning up a corner when they are not in use, but it's not a perfect solution and not quite as attractive this way.

But I DO love these shades! Here are a couple of up-close photos:

GlueBatik17

GlueBatik16

They add a lot of fun to our studio!

Comments

These look so good with your wall colour! Wow. And funnily enough my post on monday is about glue batik too :-) Great minds clearly think alike!

I actually said “WOW!” out loud when I saw this. What an amazing idea! I love it. I need to keep all of these ideas handy for later. My boy is only 13 months now.

I love them! Addressing your non-rolling up issue – what about using a second tension rod at the bottom so that you could push it up to let in light… OR sewing a channel down the center (or a side) and adding a drawstring for an easy pull?

4. Jill says

These are great!! Maybe you could make three button holes at the height you want to pin it up to let in the air and fold the curtain to the back and button it up.

5. Liisa says

Gorgeous shades, beautiful. I loved the picture of Daphne squatting, my daughter of the same age does the same pose when painting on the floor. Just took a picture of her yesterday like that. Thank you as always for sharing and inspiring.

also, meant to say that i bought some blue glue for this very thing, and look forward to seeing your related posts on glue batiks. i’ll keep you posted! have a great weekend.

7. Holly says

I aDoRe these :D What a wonderful idea!!! I love the glue batik projects. My 4yr old sent her artpal a glue batik heart. I have not been able to find ‘blue gel glue’ yet, but we have found clear…your art studio looks great!

8. Jenn W says

I read your blog all the time, and have done so for a couple of years now, but have never left a comment. Thanks for all that you do on this blog and for sharing it.
    I love the curtains. For an easy way to make them roll, you can insert a dowel into a bottom hem, then starting at the top of the curtain, on the back, run a string down each side, wrap below the hemmed in dowel and then back up the front to the top and into an eye hook or pulley. Then the strings look like a big U that wraps the bottom of the curtain. Only sew the strings at the top on the back. Then when you pull the string, it causes the shade to roll up.
    I truly appreciate your peace filled and child led approach to creativity and art. Thanks for all your work on this blog!