Need a fun Valentine craft project for your kids (or yourself!)? Here's a super simple one that involves three favorite art materials of every child I know—rocks, glue, and glitter. Seriously, how could you go wrong?
We made these this afternoon as an afterschool playdate activity. Here's the how-to and the (gratuitous) pics.
1. Gather small, smooth rocks and wash and dry them. I scrub the rocks briefly, rinse them, and spread them out on a cookie sheet in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes. I prepared the rocks ahead of time so they would be ready to work with when the kids got home, but it would be a fun activity extension for them.
2. Squeeze a small amount of white glue into a dish. We used Elmer's School Glue. I imagine Mod Podge would work, too.
3. Use a fine paint brush to paint a heart on a rock with glue.
4. Sprinkle your wet glue heart with glitter. We mostly used a glitter set that that was sent to us by Craft Project Ideas to try out.
5. Shake off the excess glitter.
6. Admire and share your new glitter rock valentine.
8. Make more rock Valentines.
Here are Maia's Valentines.
Daphne had great fun making her glitter rocks.
As did I.
This project was inspired by our family's love of glitter as well as the fabric heart rocks we made a couple years ago.
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my weekly ARTletter. Sign up here for creativity delivered straight to your inbox.