We really love cooked playdough the best; the texture is smooth and playdough rubbery and the batch makes a generous amount to play with. It also lasts just about forever.
1. Mix the water, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a large pot.
2. Cook the mixture on medium-low heat, stirring regularly until it is hot.
3. Add the oil and mix.
4. Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition with a wooden or other strong spoon.
5. Continue to mix until the playdough pulls away from the pan and is no longer sticky. Pinch it between your fingers to test it (but be careful because it’s hot!).
6. Place the dough on the counter, let it cool a bit, and then knead.
Note :: This is the time to add glitter or essential oils, if desired. Simply place the additions in a well in the center of the playdough, then knead the dough thoroughly to mix.
7. Store the dough in an airtight bag or other container at room temperature. It will keep for months.