Make candy cane playdough that looks and smells amazing! Our favorite homemade playdough recipe and tutorial on how to make playdough for fun holiday gifts.
If you are looking for an easy and inexpensive holiday gift for friends and family, candy cane playdough is just what you need!
Even better, it’s a gift that your kids can participate in making. It’s easy and fun to make, inexpensive, and once given, encourages creative play.
First, I’ll share my recipe for homemade cooked playdough, and then I’ll explain how to turn it into a perfect holiday gift!Print
We really love cooked playdough the best; the texture is smooth and playdough rubbery and the batch makes a generous amount to play with. It also lasts just about forever.
1. Mix the water, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a large pot.
2. Cook the mixture on medium-low heat, stirring regularly until it is hot.
3. Add the oil and mix.
4. Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition with a wooden or other strong spoon.
5. Continue to mix until the playdough pulls away from the pan and is no longer sticky. Pinch it between your fingers to test it (but be careful because it’s hot!).
6. Place the dough on the counter, let it cool a bit, and then knead.
Note :: This is the time to add glitter or essential oils, if desired. Simply place the additions in a well in the center of the playdough, then knead the dough thoroughly to mix.
7. Store the dough in an airtight bag or other container at room temperature. It will keep for months.
How to Make Candy Cane Playdough for Holiday Gifts
- One batch of homemade cooked playdough
- Red food coloring
- Peppermint essential oil
- canning jars
- holiday fabric cut into squares
- yarn or twine
- Make your playdough
Use our recipe, or your favorite playdough recipe, to make a batch of playdough. Then, divide it in half. Dye one batch red and leave the other one white. (Note: if you plan on giving this to many friends, you can also make a double batch of playdough and dye one red and leave one white.)
- Knead in the extras
After cooling the dough, knead in some glitter for holiday glitz and glamour.
Add peppermint essential oil (about 10 drops per batch) for the yummy candy cane smell.
- Roll out and twist your playdough
Cut up playdough into individual portions – divide each batch into 12 or so – and roll each color into snakes and then twist one red and one white one together like a candy cane.
- Package up your gifts
Once you have your candy cane twisted, put each playdough twist into a jar.
Then add the fabric, lids, and labels to turn the canning jar into the perfect holiday present!
Et voila! Candy cane playdough.
More Homemade Playdough Recipes and Ideas
- The Best No Cook Playdough Recipe
- 3 Awesome Homemade Playdough Recipes
- An Edible Playdough Recipe: Easy DIY Playdough for Kids
- Playdough Activities for Kids with Fun Ideas to Play & Learn
- 15+ Creative Playdough Ideas for Kids (with Video)
- How to Use LEGOs to Make Pictures in Playdough
Pin It For Later