Try watercolor crayon resist on canvas panels for kids. Watch crayons melt on a heated canvas for a vibrant piece of artwork.
Updated April 2023
If you haven’t tried melted crayon artwork out yet, this is a great way to try it, as the canvases don’t get too hot.
And watching the wax resist the watercolors is always such a cool effect to see!
Watercolor Crayon Resist on Canvas
- Canvas panels (we often stock up on these at the dollar store. You could also do this on watercolor paper)
- Baking sheet and oven
- Watercolors (you can use liquid watercolor paint or a watercolor paint palette; we also used these neon tempera cakes)
- Heat your canvas panels in the oven
We set ours on a baking sheet and put them in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 minutes at a time.
- Transfer your canvas panel to your work surface and draw on it with crayons
Press down and draw slowly, to give the crayons a chance to melt as you draw on the hot canvas.
When the canvas cools down and the crayon stops melting, pop the canvas back in the oven for a few minutes. Then continue drawing.
A few notes for success:
— We protected our work surface from stray crayon marks with paper. You don’t really need to put down a towel or anything to protect it from the heat (as we do with melted crayon rocks or other melting crayon art) because the canvas panels don’t get too hot.
— If you’re doing this on paper though, you’ll want to keep the paper on the hot cookie sheet, so you’ll need to protect the table with a towel. Or use a warming tray!
- Add watercolors!
Paint over the melted crayon art with watercolor paints for a watercolor resist.
Watch as the wax resists the watercolors and creates a gorgeous effect!
Let dry and hang your new artwork up!
We had a blast painting these canvases and ended up with some really beautiful and vibrant artwork. We definitely think you need to try this project out!
More Watercolor Crayon Resist Art Ideas
- 6 Easy Watercolor Ideas Using Resist Techniques
- How to Do Watercolor Resist Crayon Art
- 12 Watercolor Art Ideas for Kids
- 7 Watercolor Techniques for Kids
- How to Paint a Watercolor Geode
- Glue Art on Canvas with Watercolors
Pin It for Later