Playdough Ideas for Kids :: 39 Ways to Play and Learn with Playdough

Playdough Ideas for Kids

Looking for playdough ideas for kids? There’s so much potential in  humble playdough, whether you buy yours or make your own. Here are 39 playdough ideas for kids, including ways to create, build, play, and learn with playdough.

After posting about cooked versus no cook playdough recipes the other day, I thought I’d follow with a round up of ways for kids to use and play with the playdough. I began with links to my many playdough posts, but then went a little crazy and added all kinds of other playdough fun found around the web. Enjoy!

Use playdough to explore art concepts

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough-natural

• Make mosaic art with the playdough (from Putti Prapancha)
  • Explore color mixing with playdough (from At the Butterfly Ball)
  • Playdough dress up (from Inspiration Surrounds… Creativity Abounds)
  • Make a playdough maze (from Squashed Tomatoes)
  • Roll the playdough into balls, snakes, and snails (plus a kool-aid playdough recipe, from The Chocolate Muffin Tree)
  • Make your own natural dyes for the playdough (from Mini Eco)

Poke things in the playdough

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Make prints in playdough

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Use playdough in the kitchen

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Make playdough gifts

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
6a00e55246b63f88340148c6ec1d2c970c-800wi Playdough for Kids 6722189371_f620c82ba2_z

Playdough science

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids
Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Playdough for literacy

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

More playdough ideas for kids

Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids Playdough for Kids

Do you have any great playdough ideas for kids to add—either your own or ideas you’ve seen elsewhere? If so, please include them in the comments!

30+ MORE playdough, clay, and other modeling dough ideas.

Comments

1. Julie says

Wow – a great list of ideas. I save the inside of chocolate advent calendars because you can squish play dough into the tray and end up with interesting shapes and imprints. We have used empty chocolate boxes too but they aren’t as interesting.

2. dina says

you guys make play dough or buy? Id like to know how you get so much! The stuff in the shops are really tiny in qty! Thanks. Lovely ideas.Do

3. Julie Liddle, ART IN HAND says

GREAT post full of ideas. I will be sure to pass this along to the parents in my classes the next time we make playdough! I think this gets the point across that the possibilities are really infinite once you open your eyes (and mind) to the prompts that are all around us! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Sarah M says

what a fabulous list of ideas–I could never have thought of half of these! My son LOVES mazes so we will definitely have to do that!
    Sarah M

5. Moriah says

I adore the playdough Earth, really creative! I found these cute little heads for cupcakes in the baking section at michaels and we have been making people with playdough; your recipe is great. Just when I thought I had done it all with playdough too. thanks for the inspiration!

6. Elise @ Inspiration Surrounds Creativity Abounds says

This is a fabulous post – one I’ll be pinning. I love how you have broken it up into different ways to explore with playdough.
    My children enjoy playing with playdough most days. I’m always trying to think of different ways we can use our play dough.
    Our most recent source of inspiration has been replicating birthday cakes that you see in the children’s cake cookbooks. My little girl made a playdough dolly varden “cake” – I wrote about it here:
    We also like to use our “Playdough Mystery Box’ which I explained here:
    We made playdough cities here:
    Old calendar pictures make wonderful backdrops for playdough creations. I wrote about this here:
    My children have also had fun making picture book playdough scenes which can be seen here:

7. Julie says

Thanks so much for compiling these great ideas. I made playdough with my daughter the other day and had the best time creating a giant sparkly clown:)

8. Tara says

I’ve just created a daily/weekly schedule for my girls and myself, and I’ve intentionally scheduled some time for play dough to make sure we remember to get it out every week. There are enough ideas here to keep us busy til summer. Thank you so much!

9. Adrian says

My son and I make dinosaur tracks(from miniature dinosaur figures) in homemade playdoh he got for his birthday. He loves it!