Looking for Thanksgiving activities for kids? Here are more than 30 Thanksgiving crafts, art activities, printables, recipes, and books for kids & families.
Once we get past the excitement of Halloween, November is both a settling down and a settling into colder weather.
The last of the autumn leaves fall off the trees, the autumn harvest is gathered, and the weather turns brisker.
We still get outside, still gather leaves and acorns and pinecones and listen to the sound of geese honking as they fly south in their V formations, but we also start spending more time indoors around the fire, whether real or metaphorical.
Thanksgiving is our big family celebration and holiday of the month and we like to focus on family and gratitude and, of course, turkeys and the bounty of the autumn harvest.
To continue my monthly activities lists, I’m putting together a list of Thanksgiving activities for kids that includes gratitude projects and exercises, creating with nature’s bounty, turkey arts and crafts, and a list of books about Thanksgiving.
Heads Up: I have a special Thanksgiving week deal for you! Get access to the Kids Art Club today (filled with art tutorial videos and printables) and receive some great FREE bonuses, including the Holiday Activity Pack, a fun sticker pack sent via snail mail, and the Artful Parenting 101 course. Click here to learn more or get immediate access! Offer good through Monday, November 26th at 11:59pm EST.
30+ Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
Note: Please feel free to add your own favorite November and Thanksgiving activities in a comment below!
7 Turkey Arts and Crafts Activities
Because, let’s face it, the turkey ends up being the spokesbird for this holiday.
Hand turkeys are one way; but try some other ways, too!
2) How to draw and paint a turkey step-by-step (on Deep Space Sparkle)
3) Make playdough turkeys (on Mama Papa Bubba)
4) Set up an art invitation to create paper turkeys (on Paper and Glue)
5) Make pinecone turkeys (on a Pumpkin and a Prince)
6) Print turkey tracks for a fun Thanksgiving art activity (on Fun-a-Day)
7) Make autumn leaf feather turkeys (on BabyCenter)
7 Gratitude Activities for Families
Being grateful for what we have makes everything better. Here are some ways to begin to instill thankfulness in our kids this month (and a good reminder for us adults who may forget how important this can be!).
10) Try these 10 gratitude drawing prompts for kids (on Let’s Lasso the Moon)
11) Do this thankful heart Thanksgiving kids activity (on Let’s Lasso the Moon)
12) Make a thankful table with the kids (on Art Bar)
13) Print out these gratitude conversation starters (on Creative Family Fun)
5 More Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
Here are some fun activities for this month and holiday. Some are especially good when you have a houseful of people!
15) Build towers and sculptures with toothpicks and cranberries
16) Try one or more of these 13 November crafts and activities for families
17) If you have family and friends around for Thanksgiving, try one of these 11 simple kids activities for mixed ages
18) Keep the kids engaged with some Thanksgiving Mad Libs
19) Tell some Thanksgiving jokes
4 Thanksgiving Printables for Kids
Some fun free printables for the holiday…
20) Use these printable Thanksgiving placemats + gratitude activity (on Mama Papa Bubba)
21) Find and count the turkeys and squirrels in this free Thanksgiving I Spy printable (on Parenting Chaos)
22) Play a game of Thanksgiving bingo (on Crazy Little Projects)
23) Go on a Thanksgiving scavenger hunt (with printables on The Dating Divas)
4 Nature Arts & Crafts
Use the autumn bounty to create art, crafts, and decorations this month.
25) Paint pinecones and acorns
27) Make an autumn leaf crown (on Picklebums)
6 Thanksgiving Recipes to Cook Together
These are fun autumnal recipes to cook together as a family.
31) Assemble a Thanksgiving turkey veggie tray (on Eating Richly)
32) Bake a turkey crust pumpkin pie (on Kudos Kitchen by Renee)
33) Or whip up these easy pumpkin pie bites (on Sugar Apron)
Thanksgiving Books for Kids
34) Head to the library and check out some books about Thanksgiving and gratitude
Need some suggestions? Ask your children’s librarian or try some of these:
- Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving by Kimberly and James Dean
- Thanksgiving is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland and Sonja Lamut
- The Night Before Thanksgiving by Natasha Wing and Tammie Lyon
- Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes and Doris Barrette
- The Story of the Pilgrims by Katharine Ross and Carolyn Croll
- 10 Fat Turkeys by Tony Johnston and Rich Deas
- Thanksgiving in the Woods by Phyllis Alsdurf and Jenny Lovlie
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
- Thankful by Eileen Spinelli and Archie Preston
Would you like a printable version of 30 Thanksgiving Activities for Kids to hang on your fridge? You’re in luck! Just click on the image below and get a PDF delivered straight to your inbox!
How about you? What are your favorite Thanksgiving activities for kids? Something from this list or something different? Please share in the comments!
Pin it for Later