Here are 30 fun and creative spring activities for kids including spring craft projects, art activities, recipes, and garden ideas. Plus list of picture books all about spring!
Updated March 2022
It’s spring! The leaves are unfurling, the flowers are blooming, birds are building nests and gardens are growing.
It’s time to get outside and enjoy the spring weather. It’s time to learn what we can from spring and nature and the world opening up around us. And it’s time to explore spring colors and themes through arts and crafts and spring activities.
We know how busy you are, though, so we’ve made it easy for you.
We’ve compiled a list of 30 spring crafts and activities for your family to pick and choose from, including nature crafts, outdoor activities, and books about spring.
30 Spring Activities for Kids
There are a lot of good ones here! Choose a couple to try now and pin or bookmark this list to come back to when you’re ready for another spring craft or activity for the kids.
Happy spring and happy artful parenting!
By the way, if you’re looking for ideas for Easter or anything to do with eggs and bunnies, we have an entire post filled with 31 Easter Crafts for Kids (plus art projects, Easter activities, and books!).
9 Spring Nature Crafts for Kids
With spring crafts, we’re often using flowers and other nature items, spring colors such as pinks and yellows and chartreuse greens, and spring themes, such as gardening, baby animals, and nesting birds. Here are some favorite spring crafts for kids and families.
- Flower Petal Stained Glass Door
- A Flower Suncatcher Craft for Kids – Turn Flowers into Birds & Butterflies!
- Make A Magical 3D Nature Suncatcher From A Cardboard Box
- DIY Flower Crowns and Necklaces
- Simple Flower Crowns for Kids from Paper Bags
- How to Make a Fairy House for Kids With Air Dry Clay
- Make Clay Leaf Prints and Pendants
- Try a Painted Branch Project on ArtBar
- Create These Beautiful Flower Flags With Flower Pounding for Kids
6 Spring Garden Activities for Kids
Gardening with kids is wonderfully rewarding and educational! If you’re serious about getting started with a family garden, we highly recommend the book Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children by Sharon Lovejoy. For now, here are some posts about making a bean pole teepee (one of our favorite annual gardening traditions) as well as some garden crafts and activities.
- DIY Beaded Garden Ornaments
- How to Make a Bean Pole Teepee
- Make Garden Wish Flags
- Set Up a Kid Friendly Backyard for Active Play
- Birdhouse Painting Ideas for Kids
- 5 Minute Pinecone Bird Feeders on Made Every Day
Want even more garden ideas? Here are our favorite Nature and Garden Crafts for Kids
5 Spring Art Projects
These spring art activities are simple open-ended explorations. Remember also that you can take almost any favorite art activity and make it perfect for spring by using spring colors and themes.
- Make Giant 3D Watercolor Flowers with Paper Plates
- Gelatin Leaf Prints on Cassie Stephens
- Flower Printing with Liquid Watercolors
- Bubble Painted Flower Hydrangeas on A Piece of Rainbow
- An Invitation to Create with Spring Colors on Buggy and Buddy
5 More Spring Activities for Kids
If the arts and crafts ideas above weren’t enough, here are more spring activities for kids, including a nature scavenger hunt, suncatchers, and creative play invitations that are perfect for spring.
- 5 Nature Based Art Ideas for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- Set Up an Invitation to Create with Flowers
- Birds Nest Playdough Invitation on Fantastic Fun and Learning
- 13 Nature Walk Activities for Kids (+ FREE Nature Scavenger Hunt)
- Make Dreamy Spring Suncatchers on Babble Dabble Do
5 Spring Treats to Make
These spring recipes are a mix of kids snacks, breakfast (berry muffins!), and desserts. Cooking something tasty together is a wonderful way to celebrate any season!
- An Edible Birds’ Nest Snack
- The Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Bake an Artful Spring Nest Cake with Ice Cream Eggs
- Make Delicious Homemade Doughnuts
- Whip up some Strawberry Mango Salsa on Peanut Blossom
Read Spring Books for Kids
Head to the library and check out some picture books about spring.
Need suggestions? Ask your children’s librarian or try some of these:
- And Then It’s Spring by Julie Fogliano
- Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner
- Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
- A Nest is Noisy by Dianna Hutts Aston
- The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
- Up, Down, and Around by Katherine Ayres
- A Seed is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston
- Jack’s Garden by Henry Cole
- Birds by Kevin Henkes
- When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons by Julie Fogliano
How about you? Do you have any favorite spring activities for kids and families that we didn’t mention? Please share them with us in the comments!
More Spring Crafts for Kids
- 7 Children’s Books for Spring (+ Creative Activities)
- 12 Spring Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts for Kids
- Nature Art for Kids
If you’d like even more fun Spring art activities, be sure to check out the Kids Art Spot Spring Sale! We’re offering 35% off memberships PLUS our Spring Art Workshop and Spring Book List for FREE!
Pin It for Later