Painting with Rollers, Pastry Brushes, and Other Fun Tools

studiopaintinga22

I asked Maia yesterday what she wanted to do when Justin came over to play today. She said PAINT! And immediately went to the studio and set out rollers, sponge "brushes", paper, and the tempera paint squeeze bottles that she could reach. (And no, I obviously haven't yet done the clean-up and studio rearrange that I've been meaning to do. I need to get me some cleaning elves.)

studiopaintinga4

Here Justin's using the silicone pastry brush after having tried all the other rollers and brushes.

studiopaintinga5

After some painting, they both really got into mixing different colors of paint and testing the colors on their paper.

I've been thinking of setting up a more organized paint/color mixing table sometime. Maybe have squeeze bottles or glass jars of each of the colors and some empty glass jars for the mixed colors. But not now. Now I think I'll head back to the studio and work on cleaning it up (finally!) and thinking more about the redo.

I'm embarrassed that it's been over a month since I posted about it and I haven't done a thing.

Comments

1. chasedbyblessings says

Oh, but thank you, thank you, thank you for not always showing a perfectly clean image. Sigh. Too much is made of perfection on some of these blogs. Very intimidating. I do look forward to your redo. I love some of the choices you have there for painting and I’m going to challenge myself to add more items to our painting selection this week. Thank for all the inspiration!

I’m mostly struck by what big kids Maia and her friends now appear to be! So self-sufficient in the studio. No more toddlers… (at least not for the next year and a half)!

That looks like a bunch of fun!! It would be so cool to have a studio. Please don’t feel embarrassed about any disorganization. Sometimes I feel like I’m playing the whack-a-mole game, where I get one mess cleaned up and two or three more have popped up in the meantime. I think it’ll be like that until forever. But at least we’re creating!

Thank goodness for washable paint — even if it’s not always completely washable. Maia’s actually wearing her art smock in the photo, and Justin’s wearing clothes his mom didn’t mind getting paint on.

Well, there’s no perfection here, that’s for sure. I ought to give you all a photo tour of my messy house on a particularly messy day. Although I’m often guilty of choosing photos that show the cleaner side of my house. I guess it’s sort of like cleaning up before company comes over.

I love it! I’m going to have to go back and read your posts from when Maia was Grady’s age to see what I need to do to end up with such a creative three year old!
    In my classroom, we only kept out primary colors, white, and a set of small glass bowls for mixing. If you wanted any other colors, you had to mix it– great learning process!