I’m on a clothing repurposing kick at the moment and finally made something for myself. Here’s two new shirts that I upcycled using a lightweight button-down men’s shirt.
I found this mens shirt refashion tutorial at Jezze via whip up. I’ve made a few of these now and I should have taken a before photo because then you’d see what a baggy men’s shirt it was to begin with.
This transformation thing is addictive!
The whole process was even quicker the second time around since I had done it once before. I cut, measured, and pinned for about half an hour one evening, then sewed the shirt the next morning before anyone else was up.
I followed Jesse’s instructions for the most part with a few variations.
Try This Simple Mens Shirt Refashion
1. Remove shirt collar and pocket
First, cut off the collar and pocket.
2. Add back pleats
Try on the shirt and make a big pleat in the back to gather the material to fit your frame.
I sewed the back pleat down the entire way, rather than just at the very bottom. Also I squared off the bottom of the shirt because I like that look better than the tails in the front and back.
3. Remove sleeves
Next, try on the shirt and mark how long you’d like the sleeves to be. Remove shirt and cut off the sleeves.
I found using fold over elastic for the sleeves worked best.
4. Add neckline and front pleats
Put the shirt back on and mark where you’d like the neckline and shoulders to be. I used bias tape at the neckline.
Then, add six pleats to the front of the shirt. The second time around I made the front pleats considerably longer and I liked this much better.
I may make some more for this summer of the growing belly –there’s plenty of room in these large men’s shirts and they’re better for protecting my skin than the tank tops I usually wear all summer.
Also, I love how they look — kind of old fashioned — and can wear them after the pregnancy.
How to Upcycle A Women’s Shirt for Girl’s Tunic
I followed many of the steps from the Jezze tutorial, including cutting off the collar, adding a pleat at the back to gather in the material, and shortening the sleeves. But then I added fold over elastic at the sleeves and neckline as well as around three quarters of the waist.
I was intending it as a dress for Maia, but it turned out to be a little too short and a little too transparent for a dress.
So it ended up being more of a tunic and goes well over pants or culottes.
MORE UPCYCLED CLOTHING PROJECTS
Pin It For Later