I made another one of these shirts the other day using a super-lightweight blue-and-white striped men's shirt. Looks about the same as the first one, right? But this time I took off the pocket first, made the front pleats considerably longer, added bias tape at the neckline, and used fold over elastic for the sleeves. I like it even better than the first one. I should have taken a before photo because then you'd see what a baggy men's shirt it was to begin with. This transformation thing is addictive! The whole process was even quicker this time since I had done it once before. I cut, measured, and pinned for about half an hour oneÂ evening, then sewed the shirt the next morning before anyone else was up.
I also turned a thrifted women's shirt (shown below) into a dress/tunic for Maia. It's a nice pale green with a delicate floral print — hard to see in these pics — with parallel rows of little pleats on either side of the buttons.
I followed many of the steps from the Jezze tutorial, including cutting off the collar, adding a pleat at the back to gather in the material, and shortening the sleeves. But then I added fold over elastic at the sleeves and neckline as well as around three quarters of the waist. I was intending it as a dress for Maia, but it turned out to be a little too short and a little too transparent for a dress. So it ended up being more of a tunic and goes well over pants or culottes.
Here's Maia, trying to be serious for the camera.
And here she is, not so serious.
We went to Asheville City Market on Saturday after taking these pics (our friend Amanda sells divine baked goods there under the name Baked Asheville) and watched some bellydancing while eating our biscotti and coffee cake. At one point the bellydancers invited the kids in the crowd to join them and Maia twirled and danced. Mostly twirled. She looked like a whirling dervish. It was a cute outfit for dancing in and I wished I had had my camera with me.