Celebrating completion, celebrating fall

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic05

I did it!

I finished the book and sent it off to my editor yesterday. Woohoo! Boy does that feel good. Good that I tackled the biggest project of my life and completed it. Good that I gave it my all and am happy with how it came together. Good that I have something special to share with you (someday). Good that it is off my desk and off my to-do list (at least until my editor gets back to me with any suggested revisions…). Good that I can finally catch up on sleep and basic household maintenance (you don't want to see my laundry pile!). And good that I can relax and simply enjoy spending time with my family.

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic06

After getting the book off, the girls and I spent the afternoon yesterday collecting acorns and fall leaves…

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic02

Sorting the acorns and leaves…

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic08

Pressing leaves…

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic12

Gluing the tops back on the acorns (yay, glue gun!)…

CherryPieAcorns_JV_Pic16

And making a celebratory cherry pie (we attempted to turn my favorite dessert from a summery pie to an autumn dish by substituting the traditional lattice top with a collection of pie crust leaves).

I'm so looking forward to more days like this ahead!

Update: If you are going to save acorns for decorations or crafts indoors, you'll need to bake them at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Otherwise you will find to your dismay that there is a small hole in the side of the acorn and a little maggot nearby after a week or two. Learn from my mistake! (Or skip the baking and use it as a lesson in biology…)

Comments

That pie is beautiful. Huge congratulations on sending the book off — can’t wait to see it when it comes out. Enjoy your family (and don’t worry about the laundry pile). xo

Congratulations! I admit, that’s not a project I would want to try with kids that young. It’s taking me weeks just to sew some jammie pants for mine! Whew–good for you!–and enjoy the family time.

Wow! That sounds a big relief! Congratulations! My deadline is just around the corner… This pie seems so yummy… Enjoy the calm days ahead!

Congratulations! I’m sure your book will be so wonderful as your blog. Enjoy and relax! And what a beautiful pie!

5. Sarah says

Have been following your blog for about 2months and I feel your book will be amazing. Congrats to you

Congratulations Jean wonderful news. I hope there won’t be many revisions.
    I love, love, love the acorns. I’ve never held one in my hand and after seeing them in your photos I want to so, so much! I would love them scattered through out my house.

7. liisa says

Congratulations! I can’t wait to pre-order my copy. Amazing how much you appreciate time after having something like that take it up!

8. Aneta says

Congrats on your book :). It must feel great to be able get back to simple life :). And btw, your pie looks beautiful, simplest treasures make your life wonderful :)

9. Rachel says

YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! i’m so excited for you jean! and i can’t think of a better way to celebrate than to make your signature dessert!

Hooray for you!! What an amazing accomplishment! I cannot wait to see the final product, recommend it to all my friends (because I know it will be great without even having seen it yet) and do more art projects with my kiddos because of it.

We have been followers for almost a year and I enjoy making most of your projects (with a few modifications) with my homeschooled kindergartners.
    I have no doubt that your book will be very inspiring for parents and teachers alike. Congratulations for scratching one more thing off your to-do-list. :-)

Hurray for you! How very exciting, I can’t wait to see the finished product. We have been doing so much gathering and pressing here, too, and to boot, I now have serious pie envy! I love that leaf crust, I sometimes stick a few on top, but I have not tried this method before. Add that to the never-ending to-do list… :P

Do you live in a place with oak trees? My girls LOVE holding and playing with the acorns! And Maia always fills her pockets with them if we walk by an oak tree.

looking forward to the book release. I love reading your blog.
    spending time creatively with children is just the best. I love every minute with my little grandson!

My kids have been collecting acorns for weeks…now I feel the need to run find them all and make sure we are maggot-free. Ick! Thanks for the heads-up.