Here are 10 Valentine craft ideas and gifts to make from kids’ process art projects, including cards, notebooks, garlands, and more.
Updated December 2022
If your kids are anything like ours, they love process art activities. And they produced endless amounts of artwork from those activities, too.
What to do with all of that artwork? You can display it or reuse it.
You can also turn a process art activity, such as shaving cream marbling, into the base for a seasonal or holiday craft, gift, or decoration. And if it happens to be February, you can turn it into valentines!
A few other kids’ process art activities that would work well being turned into valentines would be:
- Splatter painting
- Marble painting
- Painting with wheels, rollers, or electric drills
- Bubble wrap printing
- Smush or blot art
This time we started with shaving cream marbling and then used the beautiful, marbled paper to make 10 different Valentine crafts, including cards, notebooks, and garlands.
10 Valentine Craft Ideas from Process Art
- Artwork (you can make artwork for these crafts, or use artwork your children have already made)
- Paper heart punch (optional – you can also cut hearts (or any shape) from your artwork freehand or with a heart template)
- Blank cards, cardstock or watercolor paper
- Mini blank books
1. Valentine’s Day Cards
Paste or sew your heart art onto blank cards or onto cardstock to make easy Valentine’s Day cards. Add a note, such as “Happy Valentine’s Day” or “I Love You” or “Be Mine” and sign your card.
2. DIY Notebooks with Marbled Paper
You can also make simple notebooks with the marbled paper. We’ve actually made similar DIY notebooks with marbled paper in the past and sent them to the grandmas as Mother’s Day gifts.
DIY Notebook Instructions
- To make the notebook covers, cut a sheet of watercolor paper or card stock in half, then fold each in half like a book.
- Sew a rectangle of marbled paper (or other process art) onto the front half of your notebook. Sew a paper heart to the center of your notebook as well, if you like.
- Cut a stack of 10 or so sheets of printer/copy paper in half. Fold each stack in half like a book and fit inside your notebook cover.
- Sew the pages to the cover along the center. All done!
Note: If you don’t have a sewing machine, you can glue the marbled paper to the notebook cover and then hand sew or even staple the pages into the notebook. Or buy mini blank books and simply glue the artwork to the front.
3. Paper Heart Garlands
Garlands, buntings, and paper chains are easy to make and a good way to repurpose any process art into seasonal and holiday decorations.
You can simply sew a number of hearts together to make this garland.
Or try this hearts paper chain over on Art Bar Blog. It is easy for kids to make with artwork strips and a stapler (great for stapler-obsessed kids!).
You can also make a heart garland (on Green Wedding Shoes) with your new marbled paper or make a simple hugs and kisses banner like this (on Simple As That Blog).
And, of course, you can simply turn your art into an artful bunting by cutting triangles out of the artworks, then sewing or taping them together.
4. A Kid-Made Art Book
You can make a kids’ art book for someone special, using a variety of artworks, including process art as Meri Cherry did with her kids.
6 More Valentine Craft Ideas to Make with Kids’ Process Art
You can also repurpose children’s process art into the following which can be used for gifts or decorations.
- gift tags
- wrapping paper
- book marks
- and more!
We hope you have lots of fun turning your process artwork into some sweet valentines!
Looking for even more Valentine crafts for your family? Check out our Valentine’s Arts and Crafts bundle from the Kids Art Spot!
Filled with 10 fun Valentine activities, each with a step-by-step video tutorial and printable instructions, plus 10 fun drawing invitations to encourage your kids to think and draw creatively. PLUS, you get 10 bonus Valentine activity printables AND 10 printable posters!
More Valentine Craft Ideas for Kids
- 30 Valentine Crafts and Activities for Kids (with a FREE printable list!)
- 12 Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids
- How to Make a Valentine’s Day Garland for Kids
- DIY Valentine Decorations: Melted Crayon Hearts Garland
- How to Make DIY Valentines for Kids with Cardboard Hearts
- The Best Books for Valentine’s Day
Pin It for Later