Looking for fun handmade gift ideas for kids and families? These are our favorite kid-made gift ideas that are fun to make and receive.
Updated October 2023
Sometimes the gift-giving season can feel a little overwhelming. Especially if you have lots of people to buy for. And getting the kids involved can sometimes end up with repeated reminders that it is better to give than to receive!
A great, less-expensive option is to make gifts. And even better if your kids can make them!
Most of these gifts can be made by kids for their friends, siblings, and the special grown-ups in their life. Some of the ideas are better made by adults or as a family collaboration.
In deciding what to make for handmade gifts, think what your children like best to do, whether it’s building, painting, cooking, printing, or whatever it might be, and go with that!
Handmade Gift Ideas for Kids
Art Gifts to Make
- Bundle together a set of hand printed cards
- A painted canvas
- A kid-made book of their artwork
- DIY notebooks or blank art journals
- A set of marbled notecards
- Any of these clay creations!
- An art kit made with favorite art supplies
- A suncatcher mobile
- A piece of hand-painted lace
- An artful bunting with reused artwork
Gifts to Make for Play
- Candy cane playdough
- A DIY play mat
- Make a melted bead star wand
- Paint beautiful DIY wooden blocks
- A cardboard castle for hours of pretend play
- Make a DIY sensory bin
- DIY paper wings for dress up
- Decorate rocks to use as game pieces
- Create a cardboard art forest for toy animals
- Make a set of cardboard robot puppets or easy hand puppets
Gift Ideas for the Home
- A simple stitching to hang up
- Print with leaves to make a set of cloth napkins
- Make Sharpie tie-dye pillows
- A melted bead suncatcher in an embroidery hoop frame
- Create a set of tissue paper candle holders
- Weave a wall hanging
- Create a hanging cardboard heart art
- Make a set of salt dough ornaments
- Make a decorative bunting
- Paint a watercolor geode and frame it
Edible Gift Ideas
- Candy cane lollipops
- Chocolate pretzel Christmas tree treats
- DIY peanut butter cups in fun designs
- Cherry hand pies
- Your favorite granola or trail mix in a mason jar
Gifts You Can Wear
- 5 tie dye ideas to try
- Try one of these ways to decorate a T-shirt with kids’ art
- Make a crown
- A dress up outfit for play time
- Try leaf printing on t-shirts for fun wearable art
That’s a lot of handmade gift ideas! Hopefully you see a few here that your family would enjoy making and giving.
More Gift Ideas for Kids
- The Artful Parent’s Creative Gift Guide for Kids
- Creative Gift Ideas for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- Creative Gifts for Kids Who Love to Build
- Musical Gifts for Kids
- The Best Open Ended Toys for Kids
- The Best Art Supplies for Kids
Want even more creative ideas?
Check out our Holiday Creativity pack!
Let’s celebrate the holidays with all things crafty! Here are 53 pages full of our favorite drawing prompts, creative play ideas, art activities, and more!
Pin It for Later