These Mother’s Day crafts for kids include handmade gifts, arts and crafts, plus activity ideas for the day itself!
Updated April 2023
Mother’s Day is around the corner and it’s time to make gifts, crafts, and cards to celebrate the moms in our families.
Handmade tokens of love, in other words.
Many of the ideas in this post can be easily adapted to Father’s Day gifts, gifts for beloved aunts, uncles, and grandparents, and even teacher gifts. But it’s almost Mother’s Day and so we’ll just call them Mother’s Day gifts for now.
The funny thing is that most of the Artful Parent readers are the moms in the family. And the moms are often the ones searching for arts and crafts ideas and fun activities for the kids.
But we hope that those same moms are being taken care of by others in their lives (dads, friends, teachers, aunts, grandparents, etc.) and that someone is searching for Mother’s Day gift ideas and helping the kids create thoughtful cards and gifts if help is needed. Right?!
Mother’s Day Crafts for Kids
4 Mother’s Day Arts and Crafts Projects
These art projects make beautiful gifts for Mom!
- Paint a gorgeous watercolor geode to hang up.
- Queen Mom Mother’s Day portraits painted by kids.
- Make a tape resist artwork that says MOM or I Love You.
- Paint lace to make a beautiful DIY wall hanging.
12 Homemade Gifts for Mom
These are gifts that kids can make or help make.
- Make a lace heart ornament (or set of magnets) with air dry clay.
- Create a book of kids’ artwork.
- Make glue batik eye pillows or napkins.
- Make a simple clay coil pot for Mom to keep her rings in.
- Create a beautiful suncatcher from plastic pony beads (or one like this dreamy mobile on Babble Dabble Do).
- Make beautiful, decorative paper plate baskets.
- Make a hand-painted bead key chain (on Meri Cherry).
- Paint some rocks for Mom to put in her garden or display somewhere special.
- Make little DIY notebooks with artwork covers.
- Create an air-dry clay hand dish.
- Use this free printable to fill out and make a book for Mom (on hello, Wonderful).
- Tie dye a new tee shirt for Mom! Or try our new favorite technique, ice dyeing.
6 Flower Crafts for Mom
Who doesn’t love getting flowers on Mother’s Day?!
- Make Mom a flower crown.
- Pick and arrange a special bouquet of flowers (perhaps begin with an invitation to create with flowers).
- Make a bouquet of tissue paper flowers.
- Make an egg carton flower pin (on Pink Stripey Socks).
- Create a bouquet of vibrantly colored coffee filter flowers (on Fun at Home with Kids).
- Paint a bouquet of watercolor flowers.
4 Photo Gifts for Mom
Photos are always good gifts for mothers!
- Even the littlest kids can make self-portrait art when they start with a photo.
- Make a painted rock photo holder (on Buggy and Buddy) and gift with a photo.
- Decorate a frame and use it to frame a child’s photo or a photo of Mom and child together.
- Pick one of these easy ways to display art and use it to show off some photos or some of the child’s artworks.
5 Mother’s Day Activities for Families
These are fun activities to do with Mom on Mother’s Day!
- Try an interactive heart drawing activity.
- Draw or paint “maps of your hearts” together.
- Bring Mom breakfast in bed with a bouquet of flowers, a nice napkin, and a Mother’s Day card. How about blueberry muffins, homemade doughnuts, or raspberry scones?
- Cook a favorite family recipe together (Or try something new! May I suggest the best cherry pie recipe ever?)
- Garden together. Perhaps today is a good day to make some garden wish flags! Or try one of these other garden projects.
How about you? What are your favorite Mother’s Day projects for kids? Or activities to do together on Mother’s Day?
Pin It for Later