Doorway into summer

IMG_8376

My friend Jennie, a kindergarten teacher, and her daughter Josie (4 1/2) created this awesome doorway activity list for Josie’s room. She said she was inspired by my list, but man, I’m inspired by hers!

IMG_8379

Together they came up with ideas of fun things they wanted to try this summer and wrote each on a cute little paper animal cutout. I forgot to ask where she got them — probably some special teacher only source, but who knows, maybe not. I’ll have to find out. I love how colorful and festive they all look together.

IMG_8383

IMG_8380

Josie wrote a few herself, although Jennie wrote most.

IMG_8384

And here is a photo of Josie’s first choice off her summer list—Take Wilson to the Do-it-Yourself Dog Wash.” Apparently it was fun and Wilson was a champ.

Their plan is to take each paper shape and stick it in a journal with a photo of the activity. I love that idea!

Jennie says, “I have finally come to understand that I do better with a little plan and a little go-with-the-flow moments during the day.”

Amen to that.

Now I’m completely inspired to sit down with Maia and make our own summer list…

Comments

1. Mika says

Wow! That is a really cool idea – I am definitely going to do it with Froglet as I have some animal die cuts I don’t know what to do with (you can get them from scrapbooking suppliers I think) – thank you for sharing.

I like this idea! It’s always good to make plans together with the children and this is a beatiful way to see the summer-plans for a while.

What a fabulous idea! I have 5 kids and it is always difficult finding things they want to do or can do. But I especially love the scrap booking aspect of this. I am always taking pictures. If you have a cricut, you can die cut the animal shapes.

4. hillary13 says

I love love love this idea! thanks so much for the inspiration! I like how it lends itself to multiple ends: a fun craft to do together, ideas to spring off of all season long and a format/jump start for a great scrapbook/journal!

This is adorable. It was a rainy day today in our little corner so we (my two kids ages nearly 2 and 4) stayed in and looked through kids’ activity books until we found something we wanted to do today. We found a recipe for clay and made some shapes, which are baking right now. We’ll paint them and make them into a garland later. But I found a bunch of other things that I wanted to do and this is a perfect way to remind myself of other things to do in weeks to come. BTW, what a great color for the dog-bathing room. I love it!

I love this idea! So much fun! My husband and I are making a grown-up list as well. I can’t wait to start crossing off items! I’ll be linking to this.

7. Kirsty says

Love the twist on your idea and the animal cut-outs – please do find where we can get them from if we don’t have fancy die-cuts.

I recognize those cut-outs! They are punched out on an Ellison die cut machine. Where I live the local collage and library both have machines open to the public. And if you are a school volunteer and supply your own paper my kids school has one too and so does my church!

What a wonderful idea!! I am inspired. It is always good to have a little push to do things during the summer, otherwise we tend to just be lazy. I think this is just what I need!

Love that you can pick and choose depending on your mood rather than putting it on an actual calendar — I may have to amend my plan! :)

I love this idea. What a great way to accomplish things over the summer. My son and I will be working on this over the weekend. Thank you for sharing.

You can buy all kinds of “die cuts” like those in a scrapbooking store, or in the scrapbook aisle of a craft store. You can also find several different kinds in a teacher supply store, or you might be able to order them online from a teacher supply website. I know that my library also has a die cut machine that can be used by local teachers – you may have something like that available to you. Of course, you could also just ask your friend to make some extras for you. :)
    This is a great idea. I really like it.

13. Rebecca says

Way cute idea. I just saw those die cuts (or very similar) at our Dollar Tree in packs of 30 or so. I wanted to buy them, but had no proj in mind. Well now I do!!

14. Pam says

Great idea. I’m thinking it might be fun to put the ideas/cut-outs in categorized containers then choose one (randomly or specifically), do/go/read/etc. what’s on the cut-out and then add to a garland. Kind of a glass (garland) half full and filling it up way of doing it. I guess you’d have to change the wording a little. Maybe use cut-outs specific to the categories (e.g. books for reading) so all you’d have to write is the title of the book, and so on…